- Mobile Interface Theory: Embodied Space and Locative Media. New York: Routledge, 2012.
- What it Means to Wait: Technology, Time, and Intimacy (In Process).
- The Mobile Story: Narrative Practices with Locative Technologies. New York: Routledge, 2014.
- Foundations of Mobile Media Studies: Essential Texts on the Formation of a Field. New York: Routledge, 2015. (Sole Editor, Forthcoming)
- “Stories, Spaces, and Bodies: The Production of Embodied Space Through Mobile Media Storytelling.” Communication Research and Practice, June 2015.
- “Infrastructures of Mobile Social Media.” Social Media + Society 1.1 (2015).
- “Creative Misuse as Resistance: Surveillance, Mobile Technologies, and Locative Games,” Surveillance & Society 12.3 (2014): 377-388. Special issue on Surveillance and Games.
- “StoryMarker: The Design of a Storytelling Platform for Mobile Phones.” The New Everyday. Special issue, “Rough Cuts: Media and Design in Process.” Ed. Kari Kraus (2012): http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/pieces/storymarker
- “Introduction to the Social Transformations from the Mobile Internet Special Issue.” Future Internet 4.2 (2012), 545-550.
- “Mobile Media Performances as Asynchronous Embodiment.” International Journal of Screendance 2.1 (2012), 48-51.
- “Mapping the Digital Empire: Google Earth and the Process of Postmodern Cartography.” New Media & Society 12.6 (2010), 869-888.
- “Hypermediating the Game Interface: The Alienation Effect in Violent Videogames and the Problem of Serious Play.” Communication Quarterly 58.1 (2010), 96-109.
- “Surveillance Spectacles: The Big Art Group’s Flicker and the Screened Body in Performance.” Contemporary Theatre Review 19.2 (2009), 181-194.
- “Navigation Simulation: Gaming Across the Topology of the Screen.” Extensions: The Online Journal of Embodiment and Technology 3.1 (2007).
- “Objects as Audience: Phenomenologies of Vibrant Materiality in Locative Art.” Leonardo Electronic Almanac (In Print).
- “The Materiality of Locative Media: On the Invisible Infrastructure of Mobile Networks.” Theories of the Mobile Internet: Materialities and Imaginaries. Ed. Andrew Herman. New York: Routledge, 2015.
- “Map Interfaces and the Production of Locative Media Spaces.” Locative Media. Ed. Rowan Wilken and Gerard Goggin. New York: Routledge, 2014.
- “Storytelling and Locative Media: Exploring the Intersection of Site-Specificity, Content, and Materiality.” Routledge Companion to Mobile Media. Ed. Gerard Goggin and Larissa Hjorth. New York: Routledge, 2014.
- “Locative Media.” The Handbook of Mobilities. Ed. Mimi Sheller, Peter Adey, David Bissell, Kevin Hannam, and Peter Merriman. New York: Routledge, 2014.
- “Site-specificity, Pervasive Computing, and the Reading Interface.” The Mobile Story: Narrative Practices with Locative Technologies. Ed. Jason Farman. New York: Routledge, 2013.
- “Historicizing Mobile Media: Locating Transformations in Embodied Space.” The Mobile Media Reader. Ed. Noah Arceneaux and Anandam Kavoori. New York: Peter Lang, 2012.
- “Information Cartography: Visualizations of Internet Spatiality and Information Flows.” Composing (Media) = Composing (Embodiment). Ed. Kristin L. Arola and Anne Frances Wysocki. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press, 2012.
- “Mapping the Digital Empire: Google Earth and the Process of Postmodern Cartography.” The Map Reader: Theories of Mapping Practice ad Cartographic Representation. Ed. Martin Dodge, Rob Kitchin, and Chris Perkins. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2011. (Republished from New Media & Society)
- “Gertrude Stein in QuickTime: Documenting Performance in the Digital Age.” Complex Worlds: Digital Culture, Rhetoric, and Professional Communication. Eds. A. P. Lamberti and Anne R. Richards. Amityville, NY: Baywood, 2010.
- “The Virtual Artaud: Computer Virus as Performance Art.” TechKnowledgies: New Imaginaries in the Humanities, Arts, and TechnoSciences. Edited by Mary Valentis. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2007.
- “Locative Life: Geocaching, Mobile Gaming, and Embodiment.” Proceedings of the Digital Arts and Culture Conference, 2009.
- “Mobile Interface Theory.” Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology Online. Ed. George Ritzer (Blackwell Publishing, 2012).
- “Pervasive Games: Theory and Design.” Book Review of Pervasive Games. Eds. Markus Montola, Jaakko Sternos, and Annika Waern (Burrlington, Mass.: Morgan Kaufmann, 2009) in Journal of Gaming and Virtual Worlds, 2.3 (2010).
- “Digital Performance.” Book review of Digital Performance by Steve Dixon. (Cambridge, Mass.: The MIT Press) in Contemporary Theatre Review 17.4 (November 2007), 583-585.
- “Upstaged: Making Theatre in the Media Age.” Book review of Weber, Anne Nicholson. Upstaged: Making Theatre in the Media Age. (New York: Theatre Arts Books, 2005) in TDR: The Drama Review, 51.4 (Winter 2007), 177-178.
- “Intermediality in Theatre and Performance.” Book review of Intermediality in Theatre and Performance. Eds. Freda Chapple and Chiel Kattenbelt.. (Amsterdam: Rodolpi Press, 2006) in Theatre Journal, 59.2 (May 2007), 329-330.
- “Virtual Theaters.” Book review of Giannachi, Gabriella. Virtual Theaters: An Introduction. (New York: Routledge, 2004) in Theatre Journal. 58:1 (May 2006), 364-365.